Here’s how to learn about a complex topic quickly when you’re writing or editing content:
- Find an article written by someone else about the topic.
- Read through the article until you find a term you don’t understand.
- Google that term.
- Find out what it means – if there are any terms you don’t understand in the definition, Google those too.
- Go back to the original article and read on with your new knowledge.
- When you come across another term you don’t understand, pause and repeat steps one to six.
Will you become a subject matter expert doing this?
Absolutely not – but it’s a quick way to gain surface-level knowledge for complex areas like health, finance, and technology.