How to quickly find low-hanging SEO opportunities:
- Create a chart in Looker Studio linked to your site’s GSC property.
- Set the dimensions to ‘Query’ and ‘Landing Page’.
- Set the metrics to ‘URL Clicks’, ‘Impressions’, and ‘Average Position’.
- Set the date range to the last 90 days.
- Add a filter with the following attributes:
- Exclude Average Position <= 10
- Exclude Average Position > 20
- Exclude Impressions < 200 (adjust this number to match your search landscape)
- Add another filter that excludes irrelevant pages. For example, you could exclude everything except product/service pages, or everything except pages with/without a given keyword in their URLs.
- Export the final chart to Google Sheets or Excel, then upload it to Airtable.
- Use prioritisation frameworks to work out which pages to optimise first.
You can sort opportunities using three frameworks:
- Business priority (topics/offerings that have been specifically identified as high priorities)
- Solution proximity (a score out of four that reflects how closely the query aligns with the solution you provide)
- Journey stage (where in the buyer’s journey the topic/query sits, starting with BoFu topics and working up)
The result: you’ve got a list of data-backed search opportunities that took you ~30 minutes to create.